7 Tips To Make 2020 A Great Year!
As we enter into not just a new year but a new decade, it’s a great time to pause on all the distractions and create a window of time to get very clear about your year and decade ahead. One of my favourite Sanskrit phrases is ‘yad bhavam tat bhavati’ which means what we think we become. It all starts here, with the thought, the intention and the vision. Then the manifestation of that thought into reality is what follows.
Making 2020 a great year is going to require some planning AND action. I like to put aside a morning or afternoon to dedicate some time solely to laying out my vision for the year ahead and getting clear on how I would like that year to unfold. It’s a process that requires a few stages so I have outlined 7 tips on how to create a magnificent 2020.
1. OBSERVE. Observe 2019 and ask what would you have changed about it? Einstein once said that insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. So if there are things that you didn’t like in 2019, and you don’t assess them and use that information to create change, then it could well be that similar experiences will re-occur in 2020. So scan back through the year and pinpoint the experiences or results that you would like to address or change so that they don’t reappear in the following year. Now I need to make a point here that this is not to look back with regret, pain, shame or suffering, rather look back from a place of learning, growth and possibility.
2. GOALS. Write down what your BIG HAIRY AUDACIOUS GOAL is for 2020. This is the one big thing that you would like to see happen by the end of 2020. It will be the one thing that in December 2020 you will be able to say, “YES! I did it!!” and possibly even do a fist pump at the same time having known you really stepped up and achieved something that was a great accomplishment! Think BIG!
3. FEEL IT. Feel like it’s already happened. To attract what you want, you need to be energetically aligned to the thing that you are attracting. So if you want to attract abundance, you will need to stop feeling poor. If you want to be in a loving relationship, then start by being loving. Your feelings are like a wifi signal that emit out into the ether and it draws into you similar energies or vibrations. This is one of the more challenging aspects of this process because generally our feelings are a result of our past experiences and if we haven’t had the experience then how do we know what it feels like? This is where your imagination will have to come in. I had a client who wanted to buy a house in a beachside town. They loved the idea but never imagined it would ever come true. I had them everyday imagine they walked from their home to the beach each morning and felt the sand between their toes and the sun on their skin and the sea breeze in their face. And within a year they had bought their home by the sea and were living that reality. We were given an imagination for a reason!
4. PLAN. Time can fly by and before you know it very little has been done to manifest your new reality. Each week you will have to carve out some time to make sure that your vision actually goes from a thought to a reality. I like to print off a weekly calendar and highlight the times that I will be dedicating to enhance certain areas of my life and also to assess my goals and check they are still on track. This can look like blocking out 3 mornings a week for a gym workout or yoga class. Sunday nights might be a 1-hour vision assessment session. Monday evening could be dedicated to going through your banking, bills and finances. Once you segment and allocate the time for these things it takes the stress out of having to get around to doing them and also brings more order to your process of achieving your goals.
5. READ. There are thousands of great self-help books to help you continue to expand your thinking and keep it positive and productive. Where your attention goes it grows. So if your mind is engaged in a positive self-help book it will be upgrading your thoughts a whole lot more than a trashy Netflix series. You could pick 12 books that you want to read that year and aim for one a month. Some suggestions to get you started are: The Big Leap by Gay Hendricks, The Success Principles by Jack Canfield, The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success by Deepak Chopra and The Science of Getting Rich by Wallace Wattles.
6. MEDITATE. One of the most important things I feel you could do if you aren’t already doing it is meditate everyday. Meditation contributes to every area of your life from physical, mental, emotional and spiritual. But when it comes to expanding your perspective of who you are and what’s possible for in 2020, then meditation will play a big part. When you meditate your mind liberates itself from deep conditioning of old patterns of thinking that can hold you back with self-doubt and unworthiness. In meditation you may experience impulses of creativity and bursts of ideas that flow through you. Things like writing a book, a business idea or an impulse for an investment. Meditation isn’t about renouncing the world and having nothing, it’s a tool to help you tap into your creative potential and live a full life.
7. ACCOUNTABILITY PARTNER. Find yourself an accountability partner who will check in with you regularly to make sure you are on track. It’s very easy to start on January 1st, 2020 with all the best intentions. Ideas are easy. Action, that’s another thing altogether. Action takes time and effort. To create a great successful life we will have to do things that you simply won’t feel compelled to do which means that often you will naturally take the easiest option which won’t always be the best option. An accountability partner is someone that you could meet once a month and assess each other’s progress. This might sound laborious however it does have huge benefits to it. Another option is to find a good coach that will do this job for you.
So here we are, we have farewelled 2019 and embracing a new year. A year that will have twists and turns, unmet expectations, highs and lows. It won’t be perfect and it will present challenges. There will also be magical moments of such beauty, simplicity and joy. I wish you a wonderful year ahead. Thanks for being with us on this journey through 2019. Here’s to making the planet a better place to live for all species in 2020.
If you are feeling like you need a break from the busy-ness of life in 2020, then you might like to join us in Bali in May. This 6-day retreat in the rainforests of Bali will leave you feeling revitalised, uplifted and clear on your goals in life. It’s a powerful experience that incorporates yoga, breathwork, meditation and breakthrough sessions to help you reconnect with your most remarkable Self. Find out more by clicking here.