7 Tips To Realize Your Goals
Want to get clear on your life and know where you are going? In today’s article I’ll share 7 tips on how to map and create your destiny. It was inspired by this recent conversation with a friend.
It starts like this…
Typical Instagram post by me of one of my stunning sunsets in Sydney. A friend replies saying:
“You’re so lucky. I envy your life.”
“ What life would you like if not the one you have right now?”
To which they said:
“That’s the problem, I don’t know.”
Admittedly I do have a life I am grateful for…yes it has many challenges but it also has many beachside days, healthy living, a purposeful career and lots of love in it. But this wasn’t just an accident that it unfolded this way. My life didn’t just accidentally ‘happen’ and NO it was not always this way. It is a constant process of assessment and strategy to create (insert the word ‘manifest’ if you wish) something like this. Yes it sounds very calculated and technical but if you look at most successful, healthy and happy people they generally have a system or series of steps they took to get there.
In Tim Ferris’ book Tools of Titans: The Tactics, Routines, and Habits of Billionaires, Icons, and World-Class Performers he says: “The most important trick to be happy is to realize that happiness is a choice that you make and a skill that you develop. You choose to be happy, and then you work at it. It’s just like building muscles.”
So I’ve had to work to get to where I am and I have to work to get to where I am going to be in the future. There’s no end point, simply a process. Like I said before, beyond the Instagram posts of cleanly sliced avocados, turmeric chai lattes and gorgeous sunrises over a beach somewhere, everyone, me included, will still face challenges and difficulty. Don’t let that glossy facade fool you. So today I felt compelled to share with you some of my systems and strategies that I use to continually enhance my life and also move through those challenging moments to get to the other side of the difficulty.
- Vision Board. I’m a visual person so I need to see the images of the life I’m intending to create. This doesn’t mean that you’re not present and grateful for the life you have, but simply acknowledge that life is a sequence, there is a future and that you want to be creative and have some input as to how that will look and feel.
- Gratitude Journal. Each night before I go to sleep I write in my journal, that I keep beside my bed, 10 things that I am grateful for that day. It could be someone I met that day, the sun, fresh water, my family, and the food that I ate. So many things! When we are grateful and acknowledge the abundance in our life, the Universe reciprocates and sends us more abundance.
- Assessing my goals daily. Each day I write down my goals, financial targets for my business and steps I need to take to achieve them. You can get very specific and the more specific the better.
- Physical Regime. Looking after my body is essential. Daily activity of some sort from yoga, swimming, surfing, weights or a gym session are all part of my success strategy.
- Meditation. Yes this is key. Expanding the mind and accessing that field of infinite creative intelligence helps me find solutions to problems and impulses of creative ideas for my business.
- Self-Assessment. Hey, I can be my worst critic at times. Its often we tend to beat ourselves up and this keeps us in those recurring patterns of limitation and self-sabotage. So checking in with yourself regularly and remind yourself you are here to do great things, you are worthy of a great life, you have so much to give humanity and it’s time to let go of that fragile little kid inside and step up!
- Accountability and support. Having someone to guide you and support you on that journey makes a huge difference! This person will be able to see things you might not yet be able to see. They will encourage you in times of doubt, and push you out of your comfort zone when you are getting a little too…well…comfy!
For some, success and a dynamic life requires commitment and structure. Sounds very formal for some, and if it works for you to just wing it and see how it flows, then do that. But if that hasn’t worked for you then perhaps some of these steps above might help. You might have some other suggestions which I’d love to hear about! Please share if you do.